Africa Alliance Meeting and 5th International Single Window Conference
Ghana was represented at the Africa Alliance for eCommerce (AAEC) Technical Committee meeting from 1st - 2nd September 2016 and the Extraordinary Executive meeting of the Alliance held on 3rd September 2016 in Marrakech, Morocco. The meeting focused on streamlining the operations of the Alliance and the creation of an Executive Secretary role.
The Alliance seeks to improve and promote the adoption of Single Windows in Africa. Its membership is based on countries that have implement Single Window systems in Africa. In 2014 the Alliance, with the support of the Work Bank, carried out a novel project to peer review Single Window implementations in Ghana (GCNet), Cameroun (GUCE), Senegal (GAINDE 2000), and Mauritius (MAACS). Through its membership, GCNet has contributed technical resources to the creation of an eCertificate of Origin exchange platform piloted between selected countries within the Alliance.
Ghana was also represented at the 5th International Single Window Conference from the 5-7th September at the Palais de Congress, Marrakech, organised by PortNet, the Single Window operator in Morocco. It was held under the theme ‘Electronic Single Window for Foreign Trade: the requirement for inclusive cooperation’.
GCNet made a presentation of the Single Window in Ghana outlining:
- The Customs platform used to process all customs regimes for international trade.
- Electronic submission and approval of Customs Declaration
- The migration of 22 Ministries Departments and Agencies to issue various electronic Permits and License.
- The interface with the Pre-Arrival Assessment Reporting Systems (PAARS) for the issuance of Import Declaration Forms (IDF) and Customs Classification and Valuation Reports (CCVR).
- The interfaces to Shipping Lines and Ground Handlers for lodgement of electronic cargo manifests
- Issuance of electronic Delivery Order to Terminal for cargo release purposes
The intention of Government of Ghana to expand the scope of Single Window operations was highlighted and GCNet indicated its commitment and its support to play its role in this initiative. Participants visited the GCNet stand to learn about the evolution of the Single Window in Ghana and for follow up enquiries.